Most who want to lose weight will change their eating routines or go on extreme diets to see results quickly. The ketogenic diet is different.
This low-carb, high-fat plan requires a drastic change in how you eat, but if you’re willing to commit to it, the results could be worth it. So how long does it take to lose weight on keto?
The answer depends on several factors, including how much weight you have to lose, how strictly you stick to the diet, and other lifestyle factors.
In general, though, you can expect to see results in just the first few weeks.
Read on to find out more about how long it takes to lose weight on keto and how to maximize your success on this unique diet.
How Long Does It Take To Lose Weight on Keto?
Since the goal of the keto diet is to force your body into ketosis, which is a state of burning fat for energy instead of carbs, you will start to see results as soon as your body enters ketosis.
For most people, this happens within the first few days or weeks of starting the diet.
If you’re eating a standard American diet (SAD) full of processed foods and sugars, it could take longer to enter ketosis simply because your body will have more work to do to get there.
On the other hand, if you’re strictly following the keto diet and not cheating with high-carb foods, you can expect to see initial weight loss results within just a few days or weeks.
As your body continues to adapt to using ketones for energy, you will start to see sustainable fat loss. This could take 1-2 weeks to several months, depending on how much weight you have to lose.
Those who are just starting out on the keto diet may see the biggest and quickest results.
This is due to the fact that your body is still adjusting to the new way of eating and burning fat for energy. Once your body becomes more efficient at ketosis, weight loss may slow down.
Read: 10 Best Keto Bread
Factors That Affect Weight Loss on Keto
There are several factors that can affect how quickly you lose weight on keto. These include:
- Your Fitness Level
Your fitness level will affect how quickly you lose weight on keto. This includes factors such as your weight, the speed of your metabolism, and whether or not you have any health conditions that affect the amounts of hormones in your body or the rate at which your metabolism works.
If you’re relatively fit and have a fast metabolism, you may lose weight more quickly than someone who is overweight and has a slow metabolism.
- Your Particular Timetable for Adapting to Fat
It will take time for your body to adjust to the high-fat diet you are following. The ketogenic diet can help you lose weight, but you won’t see those results until your body shifts its primary fuel source away from carbohydrates and toward ketones.
How quickly your body makes this shift depends on how well you stick to the diet and how efficiently your body can produce ketones.
For some people, it may take a few days to a week. Others may not see results for several months.
- Your Body Composition
What is the percentage of muscle to fat in your body? If you have a higher proportion of body fat, you will likely see a larger rate of weight loss when adhering to this diet plan.
Those with a higher percentage of muscle mass may not see dramatic results, as they’re already burning more calories at rest.
- Daily Habits
This mostly refers to the ways in which you eat and move your body. Do you tend to go for harmful, high-fat selections, or do you eat a majority of keto-friendly items that are generally healthy?
Do you work out multiple times a week, or are you mostly sedentary? These habits will affect how quickly you lose weight.
If you make poor dietary choices and don’t exercise often, it will be more difficult to lose weight—regardless of the diet you’re following.
On the other hand, if you commit to eating keto-friendly meals and exercising regularly, you’ll see results more quickly.
How To Maximize Weight Loss on Keto
There are several tips that you can follow to help ensure that you lose weight quickly and efficiently on keto:
- Stick to the diet as closely as possible: Of course, sticking to the keto diet is essentially the most important factor in whether or not you’ll lose weight. This means avoiding high-carb foods and eating mostly fats, proteins, and leafy greens.
- Get regular exercise: Your diet alone has a minor impact on how quickly you lose weight. Adding regular exercise into the mix can help speed up your results. Even the most basic forms of exercise, such as walking or light jogging, can help increase the rate at which you lose weight.
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking plenty of water is important for overall health, but it can also help with weight loss. When you’re well-hydrated, your body functions more efficiently and is better able to break down stored fat.
- Avoid cheating: Cheating on the keto diet, even if it’s just a small cheat, can kick your body out of ketosis and stall your weight loss. If you want to see the best results, it’s important to be strict with the diet.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is important for overall health and can also help with weight loss. When you’re well-rested, your body is better able to burn fat. Sleeping for at least 7-8 hours per night is ideal.
So, how long does it take to lose weight on keto? With commitment and dedication, you can expect to see noticeable results within 2-3 days after your body enters ketosis.
For some people, it may take longer to see results, but stick with it, and you will eventually reach your weight loss goals.
Amit Gupta is the creator of Keto-Reviews.com.
After spending half a decade learning about every type of keto diet, pill, snack, and more, Amit has dedicated his time to helping others make informed decisions about their keto diets. Amit has also worked for a keto diet company, giving him unique and invaluable insights into this growing industry. When he’s not busy reviewing keto products or helping people with their keto journeys, Amit enjoys reading and playing sports.